Dr. Satnam Singh, PhD
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Consultant.
Senior Consultant and Business Unit Director
Lean Sigma Experts Australia (ABN 81 604 347 604)
Based in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne
For more than 18 years, Dr. Satnam Singh has been delivering process excellence projects, performance improvements, and change management in industries such as automotive, construction, engineering, textile, chemicals, electronics and many manufacturing and service based companies. He has:
- Assisted many organizations in improving process performance using the tools and techniques of Six Sigma and Lean, and has expertly used appropriate data collection and analysis methods to accelerate process improvement projects.
- Trained and mentored Project Champions, Finance Executives, Yellow Belts, Green Belts and Black Belts for Six Sigma Lean Enterprise Solutions.
- Led many Six Sigma activities in Europe and Asia that yielded millions of dollars in company savings.
- Experienced Six Sigma Statistical Software such as Minitab (Version 17) and Sigma Excel.
- Developed training materials and Lean Six Sigma games for training.
- Delivered turnkey Mechanical Projects for Process and Cost Efficiency.
- PhD in Engineering & Manufacturing Management (Lean and Six Sigma) – Coventry University, United Kingdom
- MSc in Engineering & Manufacturing Management – Coventry University, United Kingdom
- B. Eng. (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering – Liverpool John Moores University, United Kingdom
- Diploma Business Studies and Management – ACT College, London UK
- Certified Six Sigma Black Belt / Master Black Belt (MBB) Project Manager – XR Training & Consultancy (UK) / Federal Mogul Corporation (Europe)
- TAE40110 – Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, HBA Learning Centres, Melbourne, Australia.
- Certificate for Foundation in Lean IT, EXIN Holding, Netherlands
- Expert in Lean Six Sigma, Process Improvements, Lean Operations and Lean Enterprise Solutions.
- Specialist in process optimization, cost reductions, deploying process excellence strategies.
- Trainer cum Consultant and Mentor in Lean Six Sigma and Lean Enterprise Programmes.
- Lecturer for Operations Management and Lean Enterprise (Coventry University).
- International Clients served: Coventry University, Infosys India, Henkel Group, Petronas Malaysia, Proton Malaysia, Sime Darby Malaysia, Recron Malaysia, Clariant Chemicals India, Danone Group France, CIDB Malaysia, DRB-HICOM, MARDI Malaysia, Lotus Group, Western Digital Malaysia, Hitachi Malaysia, Techline Engineering Malaysia, Malaysia Airlines, Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands, The Government of Penang and Federal Mogul Corporation.
- Lean Operations and Management, Lean Enterprise Transformation, Production Operations / Management and Environmental Studies, Six Sigma and Lean Six Sigma.
- Mechanical Engineering, Quality Systems TS16949 & ISO9001, ISO14000 and Lean Master.
- Lean Six Sigma and Lean Deployment Consultation and Facilitation.
- Lean Six Sigma Project Selections, Execution & Management.
- Lean Six Sigma Project Consultancy and Training Material Development.
- Lean Six Sigma Training, Project Coaching & Mentoring.
- Supplier Development using Cost Reduction Techniques and Process Excellence Metrics.
- Lean Systems Designing & Re-designing.
- Strategic Planning & Project Management.
- Execution of Process Improvement Initiatives.
- Quality Assurance and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Delivering Turnkey / CAPEX Mechanical related Engineering Projects for Cost Efficiency.
- Dr. Satnam’s most recent success is in the deployment of Lean Six Sigma in a major Government Linked Company in Malaysia, where he trained and coached 11 Black Belts and 17 Green Belts and achieved a savings of USD$10 million (hard savings) within 18 months of deployment.
- Published several academic papers on Conferences and Journals namely the most esteemed International Journal of Production Research.
- Work experience includes projects for leading companies in Europe (UK, Sweden, France, Germany and Romania) and Asia (Malaysia, India and Indonesia).
- Delivered MBA / M.Tech Lectures in India for Infosys Limited via Coventry University UK.
- Languages: English, Bahasa Malaysia, Bahasa Indonesia, Punjabi, Tamil, Hindi.
- Major Nuclear Plant in the UK dealing with workplace improvement, health and safety implementation, safe working procedures, medium to large scale engineering modifications and nuclear inspectorate installation inspections.
- Multi-National Company (MNC) based in Europe & Asia dealing with Lean and Six Sigma Deployment whilst completing medium to large scale engineering CAPEX projects between $5-$20mil
- Local Asian Consulting firm dealing with Wide Scale Lean Six Sigma Deployment in a Government Linked Company (GLC) & Large MNCs and several government agencies in training, coaching, project execution of Lean Six Sigma projects that yielded multi-million dollar savings.
Dr. Satnam Singh graduated from Liverpool John Moores University (UK) with a Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering. He then furthered his studies at Coventry University in UK and was awarded with a Master’s Degree of Science in Engineering and Manufacturing Management. Dr. Satnam then continued to study for his doctorate and was awarded with a PhD in Engineering and Manufacturing Management. Dr. Satnam has been actively involved in the field of Continual Improvement activities since the beginning of his tertiary education. While accomplishing his Master Degree in the United Kingdom, he had been extensively trained for Lean Systems and Six Sigma whilst working as a Project Manager for a Multi-National Corporation (MNC) in the UK for 12 years. During his stay with the MNC in the UK, Dr. Satnam was tasked with the responsibility of promoting and implementing Lean and Six-Sigma within the Organization and throughout Europe. Due to his extensive exposure in Lean and Six-Sigma Management Systems, he was invited by the company’s European Subsidiaries to conduct in-house training, project consultations and strategic planning in the area of Six-Sigma implementation. He has also coached, mentored and lectured Internship and Masters Students from Coventry University in the UK and its clients.
My current primary consulting roles in is to maximize performance through strategy, people, processes and third party technology using the Lean Six Sigma DMAIC Methodology. I identify the required skills, technical needs & competencies and implement the relevant Lean Six Sigma initiatives to process excellence consultancy for customer delivery and operations. I ensure the effective deployment of process excellence services and tools to support the effective execution and the management process within the internal operations. My role is a visible one that interacts closely with both the Customers and the key client stakeholders. Key tasks include:
Technical Capability Optimization
- Process excellence from a technical capacity to deliver on business results, develop and implement a technical competency framework that links to process, systems and identifies the relevant skills required both internally e.g. Lean Six Sigma for customer projects delivery.
- This also includes to identify technical coaching opportunities with the customer’s operations teams to improve performance and follow through with appropriate coaching conversations. Source and/or develop relevant technical workshop and coaching materials as required for the Lean Six Sigma project deployments.
Systems, Process, Work streams
- Assess and evaluate current effectiveness of systems, processes and work streams supporting the internal operations teams e.g. Lean and Six Sigma, Value Stream Mapping Framework and Exin Lean IT.
- Developing or implementing technology ensuring alignment with overall business strategy and process to increase productivity and engagement of employees through their technical roles – Cost Reduction Initiatives.
- Identify gaps, root cause analysis and provide options for solutions
- Develop an on-boarding program for operations teams that encompasses full understanding of organizational value chain processes, products, tools, systems and ways of working between the various teams.
- Develop metrics, scorecard to track and monitor key performance measurements in technical optimization of skills/competencies and on those initiatives/programs that are developed/introduced on a regular basis (e.g. Customer Process Improvement Projects Delivery and Process Excellence Consulting)
- Deliver operational excellence across the region through the deployment of quantified and benchmarked improvement objectives covering increases in productivity, delivery of product, customer/employee engagement.
- Continuously network with internal and external providers/suppliers to keep programs, initiatives updated and best-in-class.
- Develop the tools, processes, programs to manage change programs as they arise in relation to continuous improvement programs within internal Operations and Customer Delivery
- Partner with the Customers and the respective stakeholders to drive a quality culture to align with the Operations and Customer Delivery business strategy
Link Lean Six Sigma to HR Process and Compliance
- Be a consultant in the Customer’s HR planning process to ensure capturing of relevant information for inclusion and identification of value add programs for organizational development
- Build strong relationships with the key members of the Customer’s HR team to ensure optimal leverage of initiatives and programs being rolled out.
- Take all necessary actions to ensure that all legislation, regulations and quality standards are complied with.
- To regulate the use of Lean Six Sigma and other accreditation obtained by the stakeholders.
- Pre-requisites For Managing The Integration of Environmental Performance Into Product Variety Manufacture: A Case Study Approach, Proceedings SMESME 2006: 8th International Conference on Stimulating Manufacturing Excellence in Small and Medium Enterprises, Coventry United Kingdom, 26-28 June 2006. pp. 118-125. ISBN 1-84600-012-2
- A Systematic Way of Identifying Environmental Aspects and Development of Environmental Management Programs, Proceedings SMESME 2006: 8th International Conference on Stimulating Manufacturing Excellence in Small and Medium Enterprises, Coventry United Kingdom, 26-28 June 2006, 102-109. ISBN 1-84600-012-2.
- The Design of a Sustainable Manufacturing System: A Case Study of Its Importance to Product Variety Manufacturing, Proceedings I*PROMS 2006: 2nd Virtual International Conference on Intelligent Production Machines and Systems, Online at http://conference.iproms.org/, 3-14 July 2006, Cardiff, UK. ISBN-13: 978-0-08-045157-2.
- Exploring The Relationship Between Lean Manufacturing and Environmental Performance: A Case Study Approach, Proceedings CARs & FOF 2006: 22nd International Conference on CAD/CAM, Robotics and Factories of The Future, Narosa Publishing, 19-22 July 2006, Vellore, India, 432-439, ISBN-13:978-81-7319-792-5.
- Integrated Environmental Process Planning for the Design and Manufacture of Automotive Components, International Journal of Production Research: Special Issue on Sustainable Production, Vol. 45, Nos. 18 –19, 15 September –1 October 2007, pp. 4189–4205.
- Working Paper: Six Sigma in Education, Proceedings: 1st Conference on Six Sigma in Education 2008, University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 27 August 2008, 1-13. (Catalogued at University Malaya Za’ba Memorial Library: Malaysiana Index Database INDXDB).
- Working Paper: Six Sigma in Construction, Proceedings: Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) Malaysia, Conference on Six Sigma in Construction 2008, Grand Seasons Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 30 October 2008, pp. 1-15.
- Working Paper: Six Sigma in TQM, Proceedings: Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) Malaysia, Conference: Embracing TQM in Construction – Way Forward 2008, Grand Seasons Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 25 November 2008, pp. 1-19.
- Beating Recession With A Black Belt, Published in Berita BMCC, July – Aug 2009: Issue 66 PP 11826/12/2009, pp. 18.
Get in touch with us for a free consultation on how we can assist with you or your organizations Lean Six Sigma training and certification needs.